Job Description Template
(Information required is self-explanatory. ‘Responsible for’ should give job titles of staff reporting to this position)
Job title: UNIX Solaris Systems Administrator
Reporting to: Julie Bradley
Responsible for: Providing support to Bell’s key customers
Based at: Glasgow/ Edinburgh/ Wokingham/London ( in the order of preference)
(An accurate, concise statement of why the job exists. Focus on the position’s overall role in the organisation. Not more than 20 words.)
This role will be responsible for providing support to Bell’s key customers, including familiar, household names. It will require technical expertise on the Solaris and other platforms, enabling effective delivery to a wide range of commitments to customers and stakeholders.
JOB SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
TECHNICAL CAREER FRAMEWORK ROLE
(Information required is found in the Technical Career Framework)
Career Framework Role:
System Support L3
· Contributes to the implementation of maintenance and installation work, using standard procedures and tools to carry out defined system backups, restoring data where necessary
· Receives and handles requests for support following agreed procedures
· Responds to requests for support by providing information to enable incident resolution or promptly allocates unresolved calls
· Maintains records and advises relevant persons of actions taken
· Provides technical expertise to enable the correct application of operational procedures
· Contributes to planning and implementation of maintenance and installation work
· Identifies operational problems and contributes to their resolution, providing reports and proposals for improvement to specialists, users and managers
· Ensures that incidents and requests are handled according to agreed procedures
· Ensures that vendor documentation of the supported components is available and in an appropriate form for those providing support
· Creates and maintains support documentation.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & BEHAVIOURS
(Include any kind of skill, knowledge or experience required for satisfactory performance of the job. What is the type, breadth and depth of knowledge or experience needed? Is it desirable or essential? Is there a specific skill, qualification or level of competence required? Requirements should be objective and measurable.)
· Significant technical experience in the installation, configuration and administration of Solaris Operating system and hardware to be able provide technical guidance and support to colleagues and stakeholders.
· Writing shell scripts for day to day system administration task
· Configuration and administration of HP Logical volume manager
· Administration of ignite backup.
· Create and Verify images.
· Troubleshooting Hardware and Operating system related issue
· Good problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work to challenging timescales and deliver to planned schedules
A good troubleshooting mentality, able to communicate well and to get views across, good listener.
Our values say what is important to us. They are part of our culture and underpin and shape the way we behave and act with each other and with customers and suppliers
· Our values are a part of where we have come from, where we are and where we want to be
· Bell will uphold our values and we expect everyone to act according to our values.
· Everyone understands Bell’s vision and goals and is willing to help one another in attaining our aims
· Consideration and appreciation of every individual’s worth, contribution, feelings and opinions
· Mutual commitment and showing faith in each other and Bell
· Confidence and belief in each other’s abilities and reliance on Bell to do the right thing
· Open, clear and frequent communication up, down and across the company, and with customers and partners