Job Description Template
(Information required is self-explanatory. ‘Responsible for’ should give job titles of staff reporting to this position)
Job title: Datacentre Engineer
Reporting to: Vishal Shah
Responsible for: Local Data Centre Cabling Operations
Based at: Newbury
(An accurate, concise statement of why the job exists. Focus on the position’s overall role in the organisation. Not more than 20 words.)
The Function is to assist with the day to day operations and support within the Group/UK data centres administering a cabling database, monitoring call queues, updating / maintaining cabling sheets and share-point, responding to incidents, changes and tasks that are requested by the infrastructure and project teams. Participating in an on call rota as specified by the contract.
JOB SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
To provide a 9am-5pm, five day per week service in Newbury and Basingstoke Data Centres with an on-call requirement. Performing cabling software administration, call handling, Patching/De-patching projects and cable connection break fix with the occasional server reboot. There will also be Server/Network/SAN equipment racking and decommissioning projects.
(Specific statements that describe the end results/outcomes of the job, not detailed duties or activities. Emphasise action that leads to an end result. E.g. “Record and prepare (ACTION) draft minutes of Board meetings (FUNCTION) for subsequent approval of the Board (END RESULT)”. Ideally worded to include a measure of performance. Aim for between 5 and 10 key responsibilities.)
· Call handling (Incidents/changes/tasks) and monitoring Data Centre call queues in Remedy
· Creating and Updating asset management database in Remedy and Sharepoint
· Updating and adding/removing devices and connections to the IMSware cabling management Data base
· Responding to Cabling/Server connection troubleshooting incidents in ICMS
· Requesting access for contractors and vendors to Newbury and Basingstoke Data Centres.
· Racking and decommissioning of Network/SAN and server equipment for the project teams
· Patching and de-patching of Network /SAN/Blade and server equipment for the projects.
· Remedy Incident/Task reports
· Liaising with Facilities contractors
· Presenting changes to change management board
· Power and cabinet allocation
· Providing quotes for power and cabling projects from third parties
· Risk assessment
TECHNICAL CAREER FRAMEWORK ROLE
(Information required is found in the Technical Career Framework)
Career Framework Role: Sy3
• Ensures that appropriate action is taken to anticipate, investigate and resolve problems in systems and services.
• Ensures that problems are fully documented within the relevant reporting systems.
• Coordinates the implementation of preventative measures, analysing patterns and trends.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & BEHAVIOURS
(Include any kind of skill, knowledge or experience required for satisfactory performance of the job. What is the type, breadth and depth of knowledge or experience needed? Is it desirable or essential? Is there a specific skill, qualification or level of competence required? Requirements should be objective and measurable.)
· Ideally be from a cabling back ground, with strong experience in IMSware administration, remedy, share-point and email.
· Cat 5 Copper. Multimode and single mode fibre channel patching and fault-finding experience necessary.
· Knowledge of patch panels and frame tracing both manually and via IMSware is required.
· Experience of racking and un-racking various network and server equipment advantageous